The sign that hung outside the store...

The sign that hung outside the store...
All Things Vintage, Re-purposed, Junked and Treasured!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Year and Reflections...

What is it about time that the older I get, the faster it goes by?

It seems like 2012 just began, and I was still committed to a 40 hours a week job at Verizon Wireless, then after  21 years.. poof, my office is closed (end of June).

 I am a 'displaced worker" and from there on the time flew by, and the year is over!

My new found time  had opened up all sorts of options, like to consider what do I really want to do?

Not what I was doing, that was for sure.

So after my real estate agent told me I needed to de-clutter my house full of furniture to prepare to sell the house in the future...I seem to have gone a different direction. Oh true, I did sell some items, but more then made up for it with what I purchased. The good news is much of it is projects, so it's not all in the house.

So as mentioned in a previous post, I sold some old oak pieces, tables, chairs, Hoosier cabinet, mission buffet, mirrors, etc. I had a garage sale over the summer, and of course sold off CL as well.

Of course I also bought 3 project tables,  and a project desk. These larger projects are waiting for warmer weather to paint with chalk paint. I found several wicker pieces that spray paint has refreshed with new life. I found an antique washbasin (below), as well as lamps, a Amish pie safe, oak ice box, and many other misc treasures. This was all after my job ended.

The old wash basin was a great find last summer at a garage sale, and could be used for outdoor party's to put ice and pop or beer and wine in as the metal top lifts off. Now it is in my outdoor atrium / garden room as a table. This picture was from fall, can you tell?!




A trip to a couple sales one summer weekend brought home several fun finds...that called for some new color on the candle sticks and birdcage ( though I think I will paint the birdcage black next) ...the hydrangeas looked great in the silver teapot.


And the items in this picture have all been re purposed as well, after another fun weekend of garage sales. The rusty table, got ASCP on the board top, and is now my coffee table.


The atrium has been the transition room for much of the treasures...and with all the sun we had late summer it was the perfect place to retreat to. Pretty much everything in the below picture of the atrium came home from different garage/estate sales over the summer.




I did get this lovely ladies desk ilast summer at an estate sale, for embarrassing cheap. It is now in my bedroom, and I have grown fond of it as well!



You may remember from a previous post here, my carved rooster from the Goodwill,  I really like him..and now that Christmas is past..he will be coming out of hiding to a new place in the house.






The pewter grasshopper from a previous post you can read here, is on call, waiting for incoming mail !



Two of my favorite summer finds were both put to work. One is some vintage TV trays with stand, which are used often and well worth the $12.00 I paid for them.


I also came across a huge cauldron at an estate sale, and it is now s fire pit. On Christmas Eve it was moved out in front of the house, and was a wonderful place to gather outside as the evening was dry and crisp and the fire was glowing in it.



And the first project I painted with ASCP, was my Mom's old "workhorse" tea cart, which got a coat of ASCP... and came back to life. She used it to display things at the many garage sales she used to have and I am honored to have it.




OK, so back to the question about time, and what do I want to do...I want to create.

Not sure what, as it  depends on what I have to create out of. But, that is the joy of re purposing, it fulfills that need to create.

I also want to see my blog grow, and find new friends as I do... and hoped to pick up some followers to help me feel the love of creating!

So now I am chomping at the bit, time to get busy, get organized, de-clutter, and start some creative accomplishments!

So I am wishing you a wonderful Creative New Year as well!

Jan

Linking up with:

Tweak It Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday 
I Gotta Create 
Creative Things Thursday 
Yesterday on Tuesday
Mop It Up Monday
Tuesday Treasures

Home Sweet Home

7 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

You have a great eye for finds and giving them new life, so I think you were born to create! Go for it!

Acorn to Oak said...

That's a lot of great finds. You and I have similar goals. I'm planning to be a lot more creative too and try to make a profit from it. Good luck to both of us! Happy 2013! :-)

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Jan, I am like you I just create depending on what I have or have acquired! That wash basin was quite the find!! Oh, and that writing desk!

Happy Creating! Carol

Unknown said...

Looks like you found a lot of wonderful things this last year. I like how you keep repurposing! I have the time but not the inclination, so much. Plan to change that in the new year.

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Girlfriend --
Your BEAUTIFUL blog is now loaded in for my Grow Your Blog party -- I will look forward to your special post on the 19th! Latest updates are on my blog (one post back) -- see you at the party!

Vicki

The Charm of Home said...

Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Great projects! Love that wash basin. And yes, the time does seem to go faster, doesn't it?!

Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
<3 Christina